Font trouble

The current CVS has some nasty problems with fonts.  In particular, fonts
font interactively may be missing when printing.  This is because we use
Freetype to print (and export to PNG), but X fonts to render.  While the
two systems find mostly the same fonts, the names are different (perry <>
perrygothic, comics <> comicscartoon etc).  Thus, when trying to print with
perrygothic, Freetype fails to find it and picks a placeholder.  Not
pretty.

This can all be solved by always using Freetype for rendering.  However,
the Win32 version does its own Window-specific printing, and thus so far
hasn't required Freetype (and would rather not).  I can't test the Win32
version at the moment, can anybody tell me if the displayed and printed
fonts are in sync?

I'm in quite a bind about this.  I don't like using Freetype for everything
because of the Windows dependencies, but using X fonts leads to quite
horrible font mismatches.  I've asked gtk-i18n-list and gtk-list about
this, but nobody seemed to care.

If somebody could compare the font names for some standard fonts with those
found on Windows (using pango_family_get_name()), here are the Freetype
names for a number of standard fonts:

Comic Sans MS
Comics
Arial
Century Schoolbook L
Wadalab-Mincho-0-8
Times New Roman

If these are not the names found on Windows, we're facing major
incompatibility in fonts unless we switch entirely to Freetype.