Re: Status report for Building Debian/Mingw packages for DIA

Dear Fellow Dia developers and users,

Despite some negative feedback, I have decided to continue posting my
porting efforts to this list.

I ask all of you who use windows, who want to use the new port, and all
who use linux or have tried to compile dia under window to please write
a letter to the list and say that you support my efforts to get this
port on the right track.

I do not give up that easily! Despite some people repeated attempts to
discourage me, I am continuing with the porting of the needed tools to
mingw under debian.

I will continue to port the dia and all of the needed libs to windows
and put all the the sources needed on my web site. I will also continue
to inform you of my progress, as promised.

I will also keep you informed of my status on this list until the
powers that may be decide to remove me from the list.

It seems that I have really pissed some important people off in the DIA
team and I am sorry. On the other side many of the user and developers
have written to me thanking me for my effort and telling me that they
shared my frustrations. The FSF has stated that the distribution
practices of dia are NOT in order and many others have said so
themselves.

All of this coming from the simple problem that it is very difficult to
compile all of the needed modules from scratch to get Dia running on a
new platform. My very mentioning of this sad fact has caused some
people  to get emotional. I am doing my best to FIX this problem not
just trying to scare it away.

So enough of that, here is my progress :
My problems with the porting where due to the problems with the libtool
and autoconf, they are not ready to be used out of the box for
mingw/debian. I have included the most important patches in this
release and know now exactly where to look.

Luckily there is no need for me to create any new debian packages for
the other modules, because I can hijack the exisiting ones. The gettext
module I just apt-sourced and changed. The same will be done for the
others and we should be coming along faster.

Now I have to say that the worst seems to be over.

I have a new module for you to examine gettext  11.5-2

I have upgraded it to automake 1.6.3-2,
libtool 1.4.2-7, autoconf 2.53-5. The changes to the m4 macros are
located in the module.

You will find the new debian packages here
http://introspector.sourceforge.net/debian/incoming/

gettext_0.11.5-2_i386.changes
gettext-base_0.11.5-2_i386.deb
gettext-doc_0.11.5-2_all.deb
gettext-el_0.11.5-2_all.deb
gettext_0.11.5-2_i386.deb

Note that I had to cripple most of the functions that use
signals/pipes/pwd and the java. That means the libs are ok, but the
executable are not. This will be sorted out some other time.

I hope to find some time this week to try the packages out with debian
for cygwin. It will be quite interesting to get the packages going for
the windows build as well.

The next will be glib.

Best regards,
Mike