Text Widget [Re: Ctrl-A?]

On 22 Nov 2002, Lars Clausen wrote:

> Date: 22 Nov 2002 15:04:12 -0600
> From: Lars Clausen <lrclause@cs.uiuc.edu>
> To: dia-list@gnome.org
> Subject: Re: Ctrl-A?
>
> On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, Alan Horkan wrote:
> >
> > This all makes me think about any future 'better text widget' and ideally
> > in any future text widget i would like to be able to use all the
> > keybindings i have come to expect for word processing without needing to
> > steal them from teh rest of Dia.
> > Preferably this future text widget would
> > be native to dia rather than just an embedded Abiword object but i dunno
> > really.
>
> Yes, it's one of my post-0.91 plans.  Essentially, all text input should be
> in a restricted input field, kinda like the name change input gqview and
> some other OSes does.  That would free the single-letter inputs for the
> menus, and still allow any keybindings for the text input.
>
> The main blocks for this has been how to still be able to select properties
> for the text and move it with a single drag.  I think it's possible with
> the checking of delays that's in there now.  Since we allow multi-line
> texts, I'm thinking Tab (or clicking somewhere else) should end the edit.

I would prefer if it was just clicking outside the box - you might want to
use tabs in your text - although i suppose for accessibility you would
need some sort of keybinding.
I would definately need to think this through carefully and look at what
others do and try to understand what works and why.
[Accessibility is really really important, I dont even want to hear rude
comments about a mouse being a requirement.  Dont make me have to gather
as posse of Accessibility developers, trying to get solid answers out of
the usability people will be difficult enough! /endrant]

> In objects with multiple text fields (e.g. UML class), tab should go to the
> next field.  This would be a lot more friendly than having to maneuver the
> dialogs.

to begin with a more convential widget would be great, aside from that i
should be quiet as i have not given it enough thought yet.

Sincerely
Alan Horkan