Re: Ctrl-A?

On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, Alan Horkan wrote:

> This all makes me think about any future 'better text widget' and ideally
> in any future text widget i would like to be able to use all the
> keybindings i have come to expect for word processing without needing to
> steal them from teh rest of Dia.
> Preferably this future text widget would
> be native to dia rather than just an embedded Abiword object but i dunno
> really.

Yes, it's one of my post-0.91 plans.  Essentially, all text input should be
in a restricted input field, kinda like the name change input gqview and
some other OSes does.  That would free the single-letter inputs for the
menus, and still allow any keybindings for the text input.

The main blocks for this has been how to still be able to select properties
for the text and move it with a single drag.  I think it's possible with
the checking of delays that's in there now.  Since we allow multi-line
texts, I'm thinking Tab (or clicking somewhere else) should end the edit.
In objects with multiple text fields (e.g. UML class), tab should go to the
next field.  This would be a lot more friendly than having to maneuver the
dialogs.