Re: UML module hackery

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> On 12 Nov 2002, Lars Clausen wrote:
>
>> > I also like having lines which go straight rather than
>> > 'across-then-up'.  Auto-breaking (where you click-and-drag to get a
>> > corner) is the way I'd like to go with it.
>>
>> How would you distinguish autobreaking a line from simply moving it?
>> This
>
> A "line" would be defined as a connection between two objects.  Well,
> actually, there probably wouldn't be YA line_class, but rather an
> "association" type class (base for everything else) which is defined by
> the objects it connects and the intermediate points it traverses.

We have a few superclasses for connection: Connection (single-segment line),
PolyConn (multi-segment line), and BezierConn.  The PolyConn is different
from the Connection mostly in that it manages an array of points instead of
a fixed number.  So what you're thinking of sounds like the standard
PolyLine.

>> Good.  This is perfect for them, then.  Plenty of examples to learn
>> from.
>
> "This is why you want to get out of IT and get a nice job, say, as a
> crash-test dummy".  <grin>

"Programming is like banging your head against a wall, only with less
chance of reward." :)

>> *smirk* Well, recoding UML involves not only the object itself, but also
>> some (much needed) coding of the properties dialog widgets.  Once those
>> widgets are ready, we can make very complicated objects without having
>> to resort to non-properties code.
>
> Well, in a fortnight's time, when I've had a chance to get these people
> started, feel free to do a brain-dump of what you think is needed, and
> I'll get one or more of them onto it.

Excellent!  This should be most useful.