UTF-8 on stdout?

Quick question: does anyone know how to print UTF-8 correctly
on stdout? Specifically, the problem I'm having is correcting a
bug in --credits where the UTF-8 encoding of some accents is
not displaying correctly (e.g. Chepelov). See apx. line 328 of
app_procs.c to see what I mean, or just run dia --credits. I
want to retain this UTF-8 encoding because the same data is
also used in the about box etc.

Quick point: at the moment, dia just executes:

setlocale(LC_NUMERIC, "C");

when it starts up. Is this actually correct or is this plain
naughty? It looks a bit suspicious to me. I hate to change it
since I imagine it could break quite a few things.

The bug with mind-numbing amounts of detail on this that I'm
currently trying to overcome is #86375.

Cheers,
Andrew.

--