Re: RE: Unit selection input

Le Wed, Jan 23, 2002, à 02:48:26PM -0500, Maiorana, Jason a écrit:

> >Yeah, once that settles.  Unfortunately, we don't know when that is.
>
> well, about gnome2 i'd say. With the xft, xrender, and xrandr extensions

Let's say gnome2 += $(linux_really_stable_lag_time) * $(random_factor)

(genuinely hoping $(random_factor) < 1 )

> becoming  standard, you may simply gain access to those as part
> of the port to gnome2.

Yes. Except that you don't have any of Xft, XRender and all these gizmos the
day the X server is not XFree86 (not mentioning the special case where there
is no X server at all -- I'll blindly assume it just emulates Xft/XRender as
well)

> >From the tone of your responses I get the feeling dia is in a 1.0
> marathon right now, so forward looking chatter sounds inane. But energy
> spent on direct freetype integration would be partially obviated by
> a subsequent gnome 2 port (that took advantage of xft).

Hmmm. It looks like there is indeed more activity now. Hopefully we start
"running" again...

> Plus there is the side-issue of distributing the ttf's. The MS ones
> are not redistributable, nor are most high quality ones that Im aware
> of.
> there are tons of middle quality type1 fonts you can repackage, but
> installing a copy of each for every application is not a long term
> solution.

We just depend on Ghostscript fonts being correctly installed into the X
server as well.

--
Grumpf.