RE: Unit selection input

>> Once the render interface settles, dia could do all the fancy font
>> rendering with rotation/scaling/offsetting directly with the xserver
>> or through the GDI, and avoid the mess that open office and abiword
>> got into (wrt fonts)

>Yeah, once that settles.  Unfortunately, we don't know when that is.

well, about gnome2 i'd say. With the xft, xrender, and xrandr extensions
becoming  standard, you may simply gain access to those as part
of the port to gnome2.

>From the tone of your responses I get the feeling dia is in a 1.0
marathon right now, so forward looking chatter sounds inane. But energy
spent on direct freetype integration would be partially obviated by
a subsequent gnome 2 port (that took advantage of xft).

Plus there is the side-issue of distributing the ttf's. The MS ones
are not redistributable, nor are most high quality ones that Im aware
of.
there are tons of middle quality type1 fonts you can repackage, but
installing a copy of each for every application is not a long term
solution.

rendering directly out of outline does have an appeal also, especially
once the abiliy to upload outlines into the xserver is possible, but
then
you end up embedding some/all of the font into the .dia file. (it would
make a truely huge xml file for even a glyph subset)

maybe moving forward with gnome2 and living with the current fonts for
1.0
is the most efficient long term....