Re: Dia Shapes

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, Alan Horkan wrote:

> On 10 Dec 2002, Lars Clausen wrote:
>
>> > I figure it wont be hard to allow users to override preset colours in
>> > a shape.
>>
>> As long as the preset colours are black and white, no.  But what do you
>> use to override red?  Foreground or background or something else?
>
> users should be allowed make any changes the like rather than having to
> edit the XML.  i would have to think about how best for the GUI do this
> for a shape with many colours.
>
> perhaps i am missing a trick and there is already a way to specify in a
> shape file to define what colours you want for foreground and background?
>
> <!-- psuedo shape descrition ...
>
> something like
> foregroudn=red
> background=green
>
> rect color=foreground
> circle color=background
>
> -->
>
> which would create a shape that was red and green.

Currently, you can either specify an exact color with #ffffff, or use
foreground/background.  If you use foreground/background, it is taken from
the toolbox, but if you specify a color, it cannot be changed at all,
partly because there's no way to mix it with the properties system and no
text for the widget.  So you're not really missing anything.  If you have a
system like you suggest, and the user sets the default foreground color in
the toolbox to blue, what color will the shape get when created?

>> > I resigned/gave notice, so in just under a fortnight ill have the
>> > time to put money where mouth is and get coding again.
>>
>> Really?  What'll you be doing afterwards, then (apart from hacking Dia)?
>
> I have a few places i am going to apply to (Dell Compaq, some of the
> local ISPs) will probably end up doing tech support or something, nothing
> fantastic but a job nonetheless and one that has me in front of a
> computer and does not leave me so damned tired at the end of the day.

Depending on the place, that may leave you with most of the day to hack!