Re: [Mingw-users] Re: [gimpwin-dev] glib under mingw32 debian cross compiler, problem with windres : gmodule-win32res.lo: file not recognized: File format not recognized

On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 01:34:58PM -0700, James Michael DuPont wrote:

>--- Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 04:03:28PM +0200, Christof Petig wrote:
>> >porting effort, but a stable port should use MinGW]

>> -mno-cygwin to make it work reliably, then use MinGW.
>
>I have a great deal of respect for cygwin, and use it every day at
>work.  The amount of packages for it great.
>
>For me, the only reason why I am using mingw, is because it is hosted
>under linux.  Like many of you, I dont have windows at home, and would
>never fork out the cash for a legal copy of the MSVC compilier.

I don't know what "hosted under Linux" means but there is nothing special
about mingw.  Both cygwin and mingw can be cross built on linux.  Cygwin
started its life being built only on UNIX and current releases are all
built on linux.

I don't mind people being excited about MinGW but it doesn't have to be
at the expense of Cygwin.  A "stable port" of a windows-only application
could easily be maintained with Cygwin's gcc.  Implying that cygwin
produces unstable code is not necessary.

I understand and respect that there are good reasons to use MinGW but
promoting urban myths about cygwin is not a good way to promote the
project.

cgf