Re: [OT] wiki (twiki)

> You have to use its own custom markup, which is real pain when you know
> html and are well used to adding a little html from using Slashdot and
> suchlike.

No. It uses templating because a wiki is by nature dynamic. The HTML
templates are 99% HTML, and 1% "%VARIABLE%".

For the users, it does use its own "markup" if you don't want to learn
HTML, but TWiki, at least, accepts HTML as well. Add <b>bold</b> and it
will work. Use *bold* and it works, too.

> I would not recommend Wiki unless you are already familiar with it.

The purpose of wiki: a place where documents can be modified, grown, and
solidified in a very quick fashion w/ multiple editors who are
geographically distant, and where such documentation should be
web-available EASILY. Sorta like what we're talking about here.

> Maybe there are other varieties of Wiki that are more friendly to people
> who already know html and want to use Wiki with a little subltlety

If you want, you can edit the doc in HTML then just copy/paste it into the
wiki. I wouldn't recommend it, because it would make editing and
collaboration difficult. Instead, type it up as if markup didn't exist,
sorta like email. *bold*, _italic_, and such. Things that should be
second-nature if you have worked in text-only mediums before.

If you want to get crazy and do table of contents, tables, dynamic
colourisation, and complex formatting, then you gotta learn extra stuff
which I wouldn't think documentation really needs a lot of anyway.

--
Tim Ellis
Senior Database Architect