Re: New Shapeset -- What Will I Need To Do...?

On 30 Aug 2002, Lars Clausen wrote:

> Date: 30 Aug 2002 14:10:30 -0500
> From: Lars Clausen <lrclause@cs.uiuc.edu>
> To: dia-list@gnome.org
> Subject: Re: New Shapeset -- What Will I Need To Do...?
>
> On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, Cyrille Chepelov wrote:
> > Le Fri, Aug 30, 2002, à 07:08:01AM -0700, Andrew S Halper a écrit:
> [...]
> > Maybe we should begin to look at doxygenating the project ? OTOH, while
> > doxy rules on C++ (and reportedly on Java as well), I'm not convinced
> > it's that stellar on C code (especially AHOOC (Ad-Hoc Object-Oriented C)
> > like dia or gtk).

There is also GtkDoc
http://www.suse.com/en/products/suse_linux/alpha/packages/gtkdoc.html
I dont know if it is any use though.

> I'm much in favor of some kind of in-line documentation, it's a lot easier
> to keep up to day.  Haven't tried Doxygen yet, but I like the look of it.
> I'm getting used to JavaDoc, this looks similar enough.

Javadoc rules, i dont know how anyone ever managed without autogenerated
documenation based on the inline documention

> > Another thing we could do would be to start a Wiki to shape the dia
> > internals documentation (using various archive posts, if someone wants to
> > dig them out...). I'm going to look at installing one somewhere.

Ugh, yuck.  Wiki
learn yet another markup.  Abiword recently started using Twiki.
http://abisource.com/twiki/bin/view/Main/WebHome

it is simple enough but the interface is clunkey, when you are using Twiki
you know you are using Twiki and it does not exactly blend in with the
rest of your website.
You have to use its own custom markup, which is real pain when you know
html and are well used to adding a little html from using Slashdot and
suchlike.

I would not recommend Wiki unless you are already familiar with it.  I
guess the best thing is to ask around and try to find out what other large
GTK/Gnome projects use.  I guess i dont like that you are forced to adapt
to Wiki rather than Wiki working with what you already know.

Maybe there are other varieties of Wiki that are more friendly to people
who already know html and want to use Wiki with a little subltlety
(although Tim Ellis Twiki does not too bad).  There are probably options
and feature i dont know about, just wanted an excuse to bitch about Twiki
again.

Later
Alan