Re: [OT]: thanks for tedia2sql

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002 06:34:31 -0700
Andrew S Halper <ashalper@acm.org> wrote:

> On 2002.08.26 08:45 Tim Ellis wrote:
>
> > Also a proposed large feature set which I'm still unsure how to
> > handle,
> > involving using special RDBMS constructs like CASCADE.
>
> I would like to move a large ERD at work from ERwin to Dia and this is
> a big feature request for me too.  It seems like there might not be
> enough (relationship) information in the Dia UML file to be able to do
> this.

I do not understand what you mean, but as it's fairly offtopic for Dia,
could you elaborate on what you mean on the tedia2sql mailing list? (You
can join at tedia2sql.tigris.org).

>From what little I can garner from your email, I think there *IS* enough
relationship information in the Dia XML savefile to do this. See:
	http://tedia2sql.tigris.org/sampleImages/BigERD.png
...and...
	http://tedia2sql.tigris.org/sampleImages/TestERD.png
Dia XML savefiles include the two Classes that are joined by a UML
association, so I always know what other tables must be dropped to drop a
given table. Only gotcha is if the Association doesn't actually join
the two Classes, but *APPEARS* to join them. This can be caused by
adding/deleting Attributes to/from a Class, or by accidentally moving an
Association by a miniscule amount.

See the tedia2sql mailing list archives w/ posts from/to Greg Copeland to
understand more about what I'm talking about with my comment you quoted.

--
Tim Ellis
Senior Database Architect