Re: [Mingw-users] [gimpwin-dev] glib under mingw32 debian cross compiler, problem with windres : gmodule-win32res.lo: file not recognized: File format not recognized

> GNOME is intended to provide on Unix some of the (high-level) features
> in Windows, that on Windows are implemented with stuff like COM and
> OLE (I am really not an expert in this issues, so bear with me if I
> babble). It does this using CORBA at the low level.
>
> Why would one then need to port GNOME as such to Windows? It wouldn't
> interoperate with native Windows applications anyway, i.e. you could
> not include some object that interfaces through COM/OLE/whatever in a
> GNOME container that uses CORBA, or vice versa.
>
> Or is it just eye candy you are after ;-)

GNOME is also a desktop operating environment supported by an applications
framework API. I guess the objective would be to have source-level
applications compatibility between the platforms. Not sure I like the idea
though.