Re: [gimpwin-dev] glib under mingw32 debian cross compiler, problem with windres : gmodule-win32res.lo: file not recognized: File format not recognized

--- Tor Lillqvist <tml@iki.fi> wrote:
> James Michael DuPont writes:
>  > Hopefully we can get all the cool gnome apps running under windows
>
> Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't it go like this:
>
> GNOME is intended to provide on Unix some of the (high-level)
> features
> in Windows, that on Windows are implemented with stuff like COM and
> OLE (I am really not an expert in this issues, so bear with me if I
> babble). It does this using CORBA at the low level.

The Dia and GNOME projects will benefit from the porting of the corba
to windows as done by steven obrien via cygwin.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steven.obrien2/

The usage of the GNOME orbit corba bindings from perl will be a great
benefit, I believe GNUMERIC Supports is as well.

> Why would one then need to port GNOME as such to Windows? It wouldn't
> interoperate with native Windows applications anyway, i.e. you could
> not include some object that interfaces through COM/OLE/whatever in a
> GNOME container that uses CORBA, or vice versa.

I mean gnome apps, like GNUMERIC, ABI WORD, DIA.

> Or is it just eye candy you are after ;-)

I am after using the DIA toolkit as a scriptable, browser enabled,
graphing  layout tool. Also under windows, but more importantly under
linux.

I only got involved in the port to windows when I wanted to try the
python bindings with python 2.2 and noticed that I was in DLL HELL.

After writing to hans and dia for help, i decided to follow the
instructions and compile, but wanted to do so under cygwin, because
most of the gnome libs was ported to windows by steven o'brien.

This is when I noticed that it was a pain to get all the sources
together. As a service to the community I want to help fix the areas
that we all can use.

>  > The problem is with the resource compiler :
>  > gmodule-win32res.lo   and
>  > gobject-win32res.lo   are dependant on the command :
>  > ../build/win32/lt-compile-resource gmodule.rc gmodule-win32res.lo
>  > which complains that :
>  > Using zero as build number
>
> That is just an informational message, not a warning or error.
>
>  > gmodule-win32res.lo: file not recognized: File format not
> recognized
>
> The .lo file that the lt-compile-resource script produces is a
> "libtool object file", which actually is a small text file that
> contains some assignment lines. (Read lt-compile-resource, it's a
> relatively simple shell script.)

Yes this is the version information for the dlls, I will drop it for
now.

> At least .lo files are small text files on my setup (on Windows, not
> cross-compilation). Maybe with cross-compilation from Unix, .lo files
> are actually symbolic links to the real .o files? Or just .o files
> with another name? If so, you need to modify the lt-compile-resource
> script to just do a symlink or rename instead of creating the small
> text file. Or you can drop the resource file stuff from the
> makefiles,
> it's not essential for the DLLs.
>
> Why is this resource crap needed at all, you might ask? I want to
> include version resources in the GLib etc DLLs. (I.e. what you see in
> Explorer if you right-click a DLL and select Properties:Version.)
>
> It's just a hack that has evolved over time. Without feedback, I
> haven't bothered to try to improve it. As the compile-resource script
> says:
>
> # This is just my (tml@iki.fi) idea, if somebody comes up with a
> # better way to generate version number resources, don't hesitate to
> # suggest.
>
> Please do try. The essential feature the (lt-)compile-resource script
> provides to me is that after a "make clean", the resource file gets
> recompiled with a bumped build number. (This happens only if the
> build
> number "stamp" file is present, which it is supposed to be only on
> the
> "official packager's" machine, so that new releases of "official"
> DLLs
> can be recognized from increasing version number resources. Of
> course,
> "official" is a silly word to use without offices or officers.)

Thanks for this explaination! Zour help is greatly appreciated!

All i need to do now is debug the linker options,
it seems like I got all of glib to compile... now I have to get it to
link!

mike

=====
James Michael DuPont