Re: Strange success story

> Using epsffit to turn an EPS file into PS (the printing gave
> weird headaches) I managed to get some quite nice output.

This reminds me of a tangent about Dia.

Here where I work I use Dia to create the database ERD which is a big,
hairy thing but is a useful document for programmers to look at.

They have little interest in installing Dia (only the DBA does that) -- so
what I do is print the Dia diagram to "output.ps" which thankfully has the
default behaviour of putting the .ps file into the same directory from
whence the .dia file was loaded.

Then I have a script that runs ImageMagick "convert" on the .ps file to
turn it into a .pdf ("convert output.ps output.pdf") which works on
US-Letter sized .ps files (but strangely enough, not on US-Legal size).
Then I email the PDF to whomever wants a copy, and put another copy up on
our intranet site for anyone else who wants it.

Acrobat Reader is a pretty common install. Interestingly, EPS files and
most every other sort of vector graphic file format, including PS, aren't
viewable on Microsoft systems without special software.

--
Tim Ellis
Senior Database Architect