RE: Review of Keybindings [Re: Dia's user interface]

> On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Alan Horkan wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Ben A. Hetland wrote:
> >
> Ctrl-A should be Select All.  I'd like to make Front and Back be
> Ctrl-> and
> Ctrl-<, but those are clumsy on US keyboards.

Ctrl-A should definitely be select all. Dia has a use for the concept of
select all, so it should definitely follow the outstanding convention
rather than reinterpret Ctrl-A for something else and assign a different
key to the select-all function.

I don't think Ctrl-> (Ctrl-.) and Ctrl-< (Ctrl-,) are difficult...
uncommon, but not difficult. This, of course, is assuming that Ctrl-. and
Ctrl-, would be equivalent, instead of Ctrl-> meaning Ctrl-Shift-. .

> Finally found the HIG (not easily found from Gnome.org).

Where is it? I clicked on Alan's link, but it's seriously outdated (no
updates in ~1.5 years).

> > Unfortunately this would change (break) the current scheme in
> > quite a lot of places, but better to make a decision sooner rather than
> > later.
>
> We shall probably need to break a number of long-standing
> settings soon.  I
> don't know if this should be before or after the next release.  Probably
> after, I think this release has waited long enough already.

Prior to 1.0, but I'd agree that a new release sooner rather than later
would be good.