Re: Review of Keybindings [Re: Dia's user interface]

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Alan Horkan wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Ben A. Hetland wrote:
>
>> From: Ben A. Hetland <ben.a.hetland@sintef.no>

>> > Ctrl-F is already used for Bring to Front.
>>
>> Which reminds me...  If it isn't already "fixed," then perhaps its
>> complementary should be called "Send to Back" not "Bring to Back"? Sound
>> a bit odd to me, that one... :-)
>>

> Damn!  Ctrl+A and Ctrl+I area already take too.
>
> This is why the keybindings cannot be decided in isolation.

Ctrl-A should be Select All.  I'd like to make Front and Back be Ctrl-> and
Ctrl-<, but those are clumsy on US keyboards.

> Ideally someone would try and figure out keybinding for almost all of the
> application and would follow the Human Interface Guidelines as much as
> possible.

Finally found the HIG (not easily found from Gnome.org).

> Unfortunately this would change (break) the current scheme in
> quite a lot of places, but better to make a decision sooner rather than
> later.

We shall probably need to break a number of long-standing settings soon.  I
don't know if this should be before or after the next release.  Probably
after, I think this release has waited long enough already.