Re: dia Win32 0.89 installer

Le ven, sep 14, 2001, à 06:50:55 +0200, Steffen Macke a écrit:

> Please use bugzilla and activate the "win32" component if you want to report
> bugs for Win32 - Thank You.

0.89-test bugs could also, for the time being, be reported as "CVS head" +
the version of the installer in the Version Details field.

> Perhaps I should have mentioned it in my mail explicitly:
> The installer is just for testing - it's not the actual release!
> My problem is that I could only change the version numbers on the installer,
> as Hans is doing the actual built - if somebody reports a bug, usually he
> won't report the version of the installer...

I still believe we should treat the installer as a distribution in Win32's
packaging format, and have it bear its own version number. That would give
you room to fix installation issues without having to increment the main
version number and desync from the trunk version number.

In that logic, the file you've posted could be renamed like
  dia-setup-0.89-test2plus_1.exe
(the number after _ being yours. This is of course strongly inspired by
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-versions.html . We'll certainly
have to refrain from making the use of epochs necessary (your average win32
filesystem won't like it...)

> The check for an old install I had to introduce because some files from an
> old install would cause warning messages on application startup if they're
> not removed. As Cyrille noticed, the check is very simple, it just looks for
> a registry entry for HKCR\diaFile. I'm not quite happy with this
> (Uninstalling worked for me...) I see some possible alternatives:

> * Have the Uninstaller remove the problematic files
> * Have the Uninstaller remove any old dia installation
> * Leave as is, provide additional information on manual uninstallation
> What do you think?

The problem is "false positives". The installer may want to decode what's in
HKCR\diaFile and check that there actually is an installation there before
doing anythin. Then, depending on whether the installation looks good or
not, proceed or give the user better clues about what's wrong.

On the other hand, the DIA_API version has changed between 0.88.x and 0.89,
so accidentally loading an older DLL should not do much harm.

Dia 0.88.1 with libxml1 does not like the ~/.dia/pluginrc CVS Head is
generating and its libxml falls into an infinite loop. This is something I
don't really want to fix (out of the messed "XML" problem, as fast as
possible), but it sure will warrant a FAQ entry. However, things look saner
with using libxml2 (I'll investigate on the diacritics reload problem
between 0.88.x and 0.89 ASAP when using libxml2, perhaps on Monday).

Grumpf.