Re: Any more progress with Visio <=> Dia interchange methods?

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, Philip Rhoades wrote:

> Lars,
>
>> > I read the archives about attempts to move files between Visio and Dia
>> > - have there been any more developments by anyone?
>>
>>No, but we've determined that the most feasible way is probably to use
>>OLE on a machine with Visio to convert.  Other programs do that.  If we
>>get that running, we could even set up a conversion server.  Don't know
>>of anybody working on it, though (does anyone have a copy of Visio
>>installed at all?)
>
> I have a (pre-MS) copy - I was trying to avoid re-installing it on my
> newly installed Win4Lin v3.0 (running on RH7.1) because I want to get
> rid of as much Windows crap as possible but if it will help the
> development process I am happy to of course.

It would help quite a lot if we could actually get that translation up.
Lots of people have been asking for it.

> I have never done anything with OLE though - it seems like that
> shouldn't be a problem if someone is willing to point me in the right
> direction.

Can't help you with OLE, for me it's just something that pops up
occasionally in network classes.  For importing/exporting Dia files, look
at the plug-ins (my xfig plug-in is apparently sufficiently clean that the
plug-in I learned from got re-written by it:)

Best of luck with this!

Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause) | Hårdgrim of Numenor
"I do not agree with a word that you say, but I    | Retainer of Sir Kegg
will defend to the death your right to say it."    |   of Westfield
    --Evelyn Beatrice Hall paraphrasing Voltaire   | Chaos Berserker of Khorne