Re: Autoconf trouble

On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Cyrille Chepelov wrote:

> Le mer, aoû 01, 2001, à 07:45:41 -0500, Lars Clausen a écrit:
>>
>> When I try to ./autogen.sh the newest CVS, I get the following from
>> autoheader:
>>
>> FATAL ERROR: Autoconf version 2.50 or higher is required for this script
>
> So it works. Good ! :-)

Good?  We'll see about that:)

>> Now debian unstable autoconf (including autoheader) is only at 2.13, so
>> where did this come from?  Still configures fine, though.
>
> It comes from me (it looked to me that the AC_PUSH stuff was confusing
> autoconf 2.13.

Which AC_PUSH?  I find it nowhere in the dia sources.

Ok, a apt-get update found the new version, and it works.

> The (debian package) maintainer of autoconf told me it was
> libtool's fault, see
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=107030 ).
>
> I'm running a fairly outdated sid, and I've got this on my system:
[...]
> Requiring autoconf 2.50+ seemed to me a good deterrent against people
> with outdated systems who attempt to compile CVS, run autogen.sh and then
> complain they miss this or that M4 macro. Okay, I wanted to avoid
> downgrading my libtool :-)

Well, this is an update that's gotten into Debian during the last week or
so.  That's hardly means the only one is 'outdated'.  RPMFind.net only has
one entry with 2.50+ (PLD), and that is marked as new.  I'd like it if we
don't depend on bleeding edge stuff for building.

Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause) | Hårdgrim of Numenor
"I do not agree with a word that you say, but I    | Retainer of Sir Kegg
will defend to the death your right to say it."    |   of Westfield
    --Evelyn Beatrice Hall paraphrasing Voltaire   | Chaos Berserker of Khorne