Re: Dia randomly crashing under Windows XP Pro SP2

On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 20:58 -0500, Josh Szepietowski wrote:
> Hello, I started using Dia a little big ago. I really like it a lot,
> and would love to continue using it, but I am having issues with
> random crashes.
>
> Dia crashes on me quite often. Sometimes I am able to go for nearly
> half an hour without a crash, but usually they are more in the 5-10
> minute time frame. It pains me to say so, but there does not seem to
> be any specific event triggering the crashes. They have happened while
> I am editing Class info, while I am forming Class relationships, and
> even while I am tabbed out and using Firefox. The crashes are the
> generic "dia.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are
> sorry for the inconvenience" windows Debug/Send Error Report/Don't
> Send messages.
>
> The only types of Diagrams I have been creating thus far have been UML
> diagrams. I have just recently disabled all plugins other then UML to
> see if that may solve the problem. It does cause Dia to load
> noticeably faster, so I suppose it is a step in the right direction.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions at all, I am all ears. I really like Dia
> and would like to use it if possible, my patience with these crashes
> is wearing quite thin. I am sorry I can't provide a replicable case,
> but the crashes do seem to be totally random.

I sincerely hope there's not something in SP2 that makes Dia randomly
crash.  I haven't heard of crashes like that before.  You could try
using an earlier version and see if it does the same, with that kind of
crash it's anyones guess.  It would also be interesting to see if
diagrams with no UML objects in them also crash (the UML objects are
unusual in that their properties dialogs are hand-coded GTK).

--
Lars Clausen <lars raeder dk>