Re: How to add points (corners) to a polygon?

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004, Keith Bremer wrote:

> Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 17:51:30 +0000
> From: Keith Bremer <keith bremer ntlworld com>
> To: dia-list gnome org
> Subject: How to add points (corners) to a polygon?
>
> Dear Dia People,
>
>     This program is a really nice little tool - I use it quite a lot to
> produce UML, ERD and database design models.  However, I've encountered
> a situation where I'd really like to draw a >3-sided polygon and I can't
> see how.

I can understand your pain, it is not obvious.

>     When I add a polygon to a diagram I get a triangle - fine as far as
> it goes, but I was expecting to be able to add new corner points to the
> object.  How do I do that?

Middle click on the object
(if you have a three button mouse and the menu bar disabled)

If you have the menubar enabled then right clicking (as opposed to middle
clicking) on the object should prompt you to Add Corner or Delete Corner.

If you double click on the icons in the toolbox you will get extra options
for some of the tools.  I wish there was an option set the default number
of sides of the polygon but there isn't and I haven't gotten around to
adding it but if you are a programmer then help improving Dia is always
appreciated.

> I've tried almost every key combination I can think of while clicking
> the mouse on the edge I want to extend, but without any effect.  I'm
> sure It's just a simple thing but i can't figure it out - the FAQ
> doesn't seem to mention polygons, and the documentation doesn't say how
> as far as I can see.

Thanks for using Dia.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan