CVS weirdness

I'm having some really weird behavior with CVS which I can only ascribe
to there being multiple CVS servers for gnome.org?

Basically, I've got a checkout of the DIA_0_94_DEV branch checked out
yesterday by

% cvs -z3 -d :pserver:anonymous@anoncvs.gnome.org:/cvs/gnome co -r DIA_0_94_DEV dia

but when I run a

% cvs -q update

many times in a row it seems to oscillate between patching lots of files
and updating those same files and giving an error, so first it does this

? doc/en/omf_timestamp
? doc/pl/omf_timestamp
? plug-ins/pixbuf/Makefile
? shapes/Cisco/Makefile
? shapes/Cybernetics/Makefile
? shapes/Cybernetics/Makefile.in
? shapes/Map/Makefile
? shapes/Map/Makefile.in
? shapes/Map/Isometric/Makefile
? shapes/Map/Isometric/Makefile.in
P ChangeLog
P configure.in
P dia.spec
P app/Makefile.am
P app/app_procs.c
P app/color_area.c
P app/commands.c
P app/connectionpoint_ops.c
P app/connectionpoint_ops.h
P app/create_object.c

... bunch deleted

P lib/dialibartrenderer.c
P lib/dialinechooser.c
P lib/dialinechooser.h
P lib/diamenu.h
M lib/diarenderer.c
M lib/diarenderer.h
M objects/standard/zigzagline.c

Then run update again it does this

? doc/en/omf_timestamp
? doc/pl/omf_timestamp
? plug-ins/pixbuf/Makefile
? shapes/Cisco/Makefile
? shapes/Cybernetics/Makefile
? shapes/Cybernetics/Makefile.in
? shapes/Map/Makefile
? shapes/Map/Makefile.in
? shapes/Map/Isometric/Makefile
? shapes/Map/Isometric/Makefile.in
cvs server: Updating .
U ChangeLog
U configure.in
U dia.spec
cvs server: Updating app
U app/Makefile.am
U app/app_procs.c
U app/color_area.c
U app/commands.c
U app/connectionpoint_ops.c
U app/connectionpoint_ops.h
U app/create_object.c

... bunch deleted

U lib/dialibartrenderer.c
U lib/dialinechooser.c
U lib/dialinechooser.h
U lib/diamenu.h
cvs [server aborted]: missing expected branches in /cvs/gnome/dia/lib/diarenderer.c,v

Is this some sort of out of sync, load balanced CVS servers problem?

Also, any chance to get cvsignore files added into those shapes directories
to get rid of the '?'?

Thanks,

-Anthony

Anthony Molinaro                                 <anthonym@overture.com>