Re: Create new programmed objects

Le Wed, May 05, 2004, à 11:56:29AM +0200, Alexandre Fen-Chong a écrit:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to create new programmed objects like the UML objects with
> properties more efficient.

What do you mean by "more efficient"? Do you have an issue with the way
StdProp works internally, or with the user's workflow? It would be
interesting to know, and yes we do welcome fresh ideas.

> This page describes how to do a programmed object:
> http://faemalia.org/wiki/view/Technical/ProgrammedObject
>
> Does a programmed object have to follow this way obligatorily ?

"obligatorily" is a dirty word in Free Software land, but I'd guess that
unless you bring a new way to program objects that is so much superior
to the current way (StdProp) and you're pledging to eventually convert every
older object to your new model, you're probably better off sticking to
the way things are done. You certainly can create a new object model if
you want to, but the maintainer can certainly choose not to merge it if
he doesn't find it compelling enough.

Why don't you start out by making a constructive critique of StdProp,
and what you'd like to do instead?

> Is that a good way to use the sources of the UML object as a model and modify
> its to do it ?

Provided that the UML objects you look at follow the StdProp rules, yes,
it's fine (subject to the GPL rules).
>From a technical point of view, DO NOT USE "UML - CLASS" AS A MODEL. You
are free to do so, but the result will have to fight very hard to not be
obsolete garbage from day 1 ;-)
<interlude>
Cyrille hereby declares UML Class obsolete. Please refrain from using
this symbol in your future UML diagrams, and submit plans to transition
legacy diagrams ASAP.
</interlude>

> Or maybe there is another better way to do it ?

Copy, Paste, Corrupt, Fix, Polish is the way most objects have been
developed ;-)