Naming objects

Hello,

I'm new to the list and a fan of Dia. Great work! Recently I have used Dia to create tile patterns (literally for tile floor design). After learning some tricks, I found Dia to be pretty effective for this type of work. However, I came across some obstacles when trying to efficiently alter tile colors en masse. I see how objects can be selected by type; this is a step in the right direction. But if most of the objects drawn are of different sizes but of one type (e.g., rectangle), a typical scenario, there is no convenient way to select objects of a cetain size.

My idea is to add an additional property, a user assignable name, to objects. So, for example, a user assigns 1x2 rectangles the name "A", and 1x1 rectangles the name "B"; later one would be able to select objects by the user defined name and change a property--say color--for all "B"s. A further development might be the ability to select objects by multiple matching property values.

This struck me as a very useful functionality for general use, and I wonder if it is of interest to others, and if it seems doable?

Thanks,
Carlo Moneti
http://arsteca.net