Re: Installing Dia in Windows XP

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, J. Dueweke wrote:

> Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 18:09:54 -0700
> From: J. Dueweke <jdueweke cox net>
> To: dia-list gnome org
> Subject: Installing Dia in Windows XP
>
> Dia sounds like a pretty neat program. But attempts to download it
> completely failed. I have Windows XP.

you probably want this
http://dia-installer.sf.net

click on the download link which takes you here
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=16768&release_id=252167

and then you probably want to choose the file dia-0.94-pre1-setup.zip

the link for it is
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/dia-installer/dia-0.94-pre1-setup.zip?download

I think that is right, i have not used the windows version of Dia for this
latest release yet.

I realise how confusing it can be at first but please do persevere.
Be patient, if my answer is not completely right I'll try again when I'm
in less of a hurry and other will also try and provide some answers.

> First of all, in paragraph 3 of the tutorial, I attempted to download
> the GTK+2.4 version of GTK. I clicked on <Source>, and nothing happened.

you probably dont want to compile from source, dont worry about it.

> Then under GNOME, it says GNOME is optional, but up above, it said, "To
> build dia, you need to install (in order)", then GNOME was in the list.
> Seems to be contradictory.

Dia can be compiled for Linux to use extra Gnome components but it is
optional, you do not need Gnome except for some extra special features.

> I had previously downloaded the file dia-0.93.tar.gz (4.624 MB). I
> attempted to unzip dia-0.93.tar.gz with gzip124xN.exe (157 KB) which I
> also downloaded, but that failed.

You dont need gzip124xN.exe, you can use programs like 7Zip [1] Winzip,
Winrar, or PowerArchiver to decompress .tar.gz files.

Hope that helps

- Alan

[1] 7-Zip
http://www.7-zip.org/