Re: military/map shapes?

Bringing this thread back onlist.

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, Sean Owens wrote:

> Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 22:33:35 -0500
> From: Sean Owens <owens@hydra.cimds.ri.cmu.edu>
> To: horkana@tcd.ie
> Subject: military/map shapes?
>

> I googled looking for military map shapes, i.e. infantry company, tank
> platoon, etc, which I need for a research project I'm working on, and
> I came across a discussion last year;
>
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/dia-list/2002-September/msg00231.html
>
> in which you said something about creating them for DIA shapes.  I
> just wanted to ask if you had indeed created them, and also if they
> were available outside of DIA?  Any kind of regularly formatted ASCII
> file would probably be enough for me to massage into code of some
> form, if they exist in that form, or even something less than regular.
>
> I'd much appreciate any help or advice you could give me with this.
> (I've seen one of the web pages referred to in that discussion, by
> someone else;
>
> http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/books/korea/ebb/sym.htm
>
> but it doesn't seem to include everything I need.)

http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~horkana/dia/

I never quite got around to converting them to proper Dia shapes but I
here is a link to a Dia file containing the work I did and you can
convert them to Dia shapes yourself if you want.

Military Map shapes in uncompressed Dia XML format:
http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~horkana/dia/military.dia

It may not seem like much but I'm very meticulous when I make shapes and
put a lot of care and attention into it.  Shame I cant quite bring myself
to finish them.

There are two embedded images I have not included but you can get them
from the web page (they are Anti Aircraft Artillery and Airborne
Artillery).

Hope that helps

Sincerely

Alan Horkan