Re: Extending Dia

On Fri, 2004-12-24 at 15:12, Fermín Galán Márquez wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is a quite devel question, so I don't know if this list is the
> right place. That case, please forgive me :).

This the only Dia list I know of.

> I'm planning extending Dia with an additional diagram type (like the
> ones for flow charts or UML). I would like to know if there is an API,
> interface or similar for extending dia with new diagramas types (in that
> case, any information about how to use it it's really welcome). In
> addition, I would like to know a bit more about the XML Dia file format
> (due to the extension that I'm planning will need to store information
> associated to the drawing attributes, in a similar way that UML does).
> Is there any DTD or XML Schema for that?

The only other information source other then the Dia website I have
found is on Wiki at the following address:

Wiki Technical - DiaEditor

I have similar interests in extending Dia. I am not aware of a single
source like a developers guide. What I have found covers the basics. You
have to identify the sources that cover your needs and use the
distribution source for examples.

In addition to the XML Schema for Dia drawings you might need to become
familiar with the Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) standard. It might not
be possible to create all of the features you want in your shapes
directly with Dia. It is possible to edit the SVG output.

My interests are working toward a complete UML 2.0 shape set and
providing support for diagrams, models, and profiles. The question
becomes where does a general purpose drawing tool end and a domain
specific modeling tool begin.

My impression is that Dia is currently targeted at creating the
graphical componets used a modeling environment. You have to be prepared
to rollup your sleves and get under the hood. That is a good thing if
degrees of freedom in design and implementation are important.

There maybe others that have similar interests. If there is a basis for
collaborating information shared through messages would contribute
toward creating a developers guide. But that would be a different story.

I hope this helps.

david

email:    david netwebconsultants com
phone:    (631) 224-1244