Re: Unresolved questions

On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 20:34, Jim Clark wrote:
> I am:
> 1) A new list member
> 2) A neophyte flowcharter
> 3) A Linux very-un-power user
> 4) Quite familiar with GIMP
> 5) Not a programmer in any way
> 6) Using Dia 0.93 on RH 9
>
> -> When showing my boss the beauties of Dia, he wondered about a
> dropshadow on the chart, which the flowcharts he has been given as
> models have. We can live without it, but I see the discussion came up
> two years ago and disappeared. Is there a way to do it, either
> exporting as a layered image or a transparent png or within the
> program itself? (I notice the splashscreen has a drop shadow.)

There's not really an easy way to do it.  The splashscreen is an
artistic impression:)  A way to make the background of PNGs (optionally)
transparent would be nice.  It shouldn't be impossible, but I can't see
the right way to do it (in lib/dialibartrenderer.c or app/export_png.c).

> -> When I try to toggle the Snap to Grid function I click the off,
> apply, and OK, but it does not work. I can shut down Dia and restart
> it and the change will take effect, but doe snot in the same session.
> Is there some other step? Known problem? Something I'm missing?

The Preferences setting is only for new diagrams.  For existing
diagrams, use the View->Snap To Grid menu item, or (in recent enough
versions) the little toggle button in the bottom of the diagram.