Unresolved questions

I am:
1) A new list member
2) A neophyte flowcharter
3) A Linux very-un-power user
4) Quite familiar with GIMP
5) Not a programmer in any way
6) Using Dia 0.93 on RH 9

-> When showing my boss the beauties of Dia, he wondered about a dropshadow on the chart, which the flowcharts he has been given as models have. We can live without it, but I see the discussion came up two years ago and disappeared. Is there a way to do it, either exporting as a layered image or a transparent png or within the program itself? (I notice the splashscreen has a drop shadow.)

-> When I try to toggle the Snap to Grid function I click the off, apply, and OK, but it does not work. I can shut down Dia and restart it and the change will take effect, but doe snot in the same session. Is there some other step? Known problem? Something I'm missing?

Thanks-

Jim Clark