Re: Request: object snaps to lines

On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 16:50, Kurt Newman wrote:
> Right now you can snap objects to grids or lines to objects, but not the
> other way around.  Would like to be able to move an object by a snap
> point and it automatically connect to the end of a line.
>
> I would find it useful since object sizes dynamically change when the
> text amount/size increases.  When this happens, they may no longer
> reside on grid lines, thus making it difficult to align the newly
> created objects with the rest of your diagram.

So you'd want, say, a line that you can connect a number of objects to,
making sure they stay aligned?  As Steven mentions, there is object
align, but it's a bother to have to redo when you change stuff.  You
could also make the text center-aligned, and it will keep the center
aligned, but that's not always what you need.

There's a problem in allowing both objects and lines to snap to each
other, namely that you can't tell when to move them together and when to
split the connection.  I tried having a connection point at the end of a
line, caused them to be impossible to disconnect.  That might be
fixable, but I'm not sure it's worth the changes required.