RE: "move" tool

-----Original Message-----
From: Lars Clausen [mailto:lrclause@cs.uiuc.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 08:53
To: dia-list@gnome.org
Subject: Re: "move" tool

[...]  As for whether to
change name -- "Hand" is not a good name for a tool.  It seems to me that
"Scroll" is very clear on what it does.  So might "Pan" be.

Icons are tricky things. If you're speaking English, "scroll" works because
the name of the thing is also the verb that means the action you're
indicating. But to me (a Brazilian), a picture of a scroll doesn't
automatically make me thing of the "scroll bars" in the GUI.

I think the hand can be both for moving (grabbing) a single object or
panning (grabbing the paper). On the other hand :-) here in the US, to say
that "dia has hand" will make people think of an episode of the defunct TV
show Seinfeld.