FAQ 13 (Zig-zag lines going horizontally)

So, I was pleased to see my question was not only frequently asked, but
answered too! (The one about zig-zag lines being smart about the
direction of their arrows + first & last segments)

However, since I can code, I was wondering about doing a smarter
solution than the workaround; i.e, making the zig-zag line figure out
direction based on the normal of the surface it's connected to, and
probably some other factors (like the direction to the second /
penultimate point).

I already looked at the ortho_conn and polyline code using Bonsai, it
seems pretty readable, but I'm not sure exactly how to start doing
this, or how big / wide-ranging a task it will be. So, any advice? Is
this far too difficult for someone new to the code? Are there special
cases I need to handle? Or a rough hack i could try to test with?

Regards,
James
--
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.