Re: Will we get a problem?

Le Sun, Oct 12, 2003, à 09:33:07PM +0200, W. Borgert a écrit:
> Hi,
>
> this is mainly a question about compatibility between the upcomping
> 0.92 and later versions.  I already ranted about duplication, relatively
> questionable quality etc. of the "Assorted" and the "Cisco" stuff.  Because
> I think that those elements lower the overall impression about dia
> (sorry, my English is terrible), I recommend to make icons and elements
> better in later versions.  For example, the Cisco elements contain
> multiple network clouds and one could remove at least one of them.
> But what about compatibility?  If people start to use the elements and
> dia has some of them removed later, how can users open older diagrams?
> If this poses a problem, the elements should be left out from a release
> version.

We can take an object or shape out of the sheets, which make it
disappear from the interface, while still shipping the object/shape
definition proper (so that diagrams created with earlier versions can still be
loaded)

As for the "questionable quality" of the Cisco sheet, I find it very
nice to generate diagrams which look exactly like Cisco diagrams, which
can be a quality in certain environments (have you tried to print such a
diagram, or did you just complain based on the screen quality ?). There
is some duplication, because Cisco makes some subtle differences in some
items, and it may or may not make a difference to some.
As for the icons in the Cisco sheet, they've been auto-generated, and
yes maybe hand-tuned icons might be nicer to the look... you are welcome
to contribute some, it's not difficult to do at all.

FRA: 61-18(FIJ)