Re: Silly question about C++

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lars Clausen"
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2003 11:47 AM

>I've considered the problem several times (you're not the first to ask),
>and my basic response is:  It's a big enough change that I don't want to do
>it until after 1.0.
I totally agree with you. Such big changes cannot be planned until a
well-establihed starting point is reached.

>I'm of the inclination that 1.0 should be released when I no longer feel I
>have to apologize for anything in Dia.  Sure, some things may be nice to
>add, but there are things (text rendering in particular) that are just too
>shameful to call 1.0.  Once they are fixed, 1.0 can come out, and 1.1 might
>be an experimental conversion to C++.
IMO, C++ can be particularly useful when defining interfaces, especially
where more new coding activity is expected. I see two candidate areas:
objects and StdProps. Moreover, at least in a first step, It could be a good
idea just to wrap existing code with C++ classes, in order to enable
(re)writing object plug-ins in C++. All this AFTER 1.0.

>The worst problem I see with C++ as such is that it's easy to overuse
>features and get unreadable code.  But then, using AHOOC is tricky, too.
Alas, there's no programming language that guarantees writing good quality
code...

Sincerely.
Marco