Re: DiaCanvas

On 30 May 2003, Martin Willemoes Hansen wrote:

> Date: 30 May 2003 09:43:48 +0200
> From: Martin Willemoes Hansen <mwh@sysrq.dk>
> To: Alan Horkan <horkana@maths.tcd.ie>
> Subject: Re: DiaCanvas
>
> On Thu, 2003-05-29 at 22:47, Alan Horkan wrote:
> > On 27 May 2003, Martin Willemoes Hansen wrote:
> >
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > I am wondering if I can use DiaCanvas in my project .. im doing a UML
> > > program to model c# programs, first I was thinking I would do the stuff
> >
> > Please make sure that you are starting a whole new project for the right
> > reasons.
>
> Yes, im doing this partly to learn using c#, gnome libs and so on as
> part of a college assignment.

Education is a fairly good reason.
If you have not already read it this article by Havoc Pennington is worth
a read (and ESR wrote a fairly similar one, linked at the bottom of the
article)
http://ometer.com/hacking.html

That said it would be incredibly helpful to the community in general if
you could do your work in some sort of a a modular reusable way.  Building
on top of an existing program will probably allow you to focus on the bits
that really interest you.

The author of DiaCanvas has a UML program of his own
http://gaphor.sourceforge.net/doc/gaphor.php
I have no idea why he does not link to it from his DiaCanvas website.

Dachshund is another http://dachshund.sourceforge.net/

Searching through Freshmeat.net and Sourceforge.net will turn up plenty of
other project too.

> > Dia is already here, please help to improve Dia.  You might consider
> > perhaps addding C# support to AutoDia http://droogs.org/autodia/
> > I could recommend other UML projects too.
>
> Oh, thats a nice project.

> Yes, I DiaCanvas was the thing I was looking for, I thought it was part
> of Dia .. sorry to have disturbed you guys ;)

No problem.

If you produce something we can use too please let us know, that would be
more than thanks enough.

> > Again I urge you not to start a new project unless it is absolutely
> > necessary.
>
> Sure, it will not be anything like Dia,

> it will only focus on doing C#

The GPL allows you to strip down Dia and release your own version if you
want it to do less things and be more focused on just C#.

> modeling and be helpfull for me to learn stuff.

Trying to understand other peoples code is certainly "an Education" :)

Sincerely

Alan H.