Re: subscripts/superscripts and symbols

On Sun, 08 Jun 2003, J. S. Gilstrap wrote:
> Alan Horkan wrote:
>>
>> On 8 Jun 2003, Rajarshi Guha wrote:
>

>> > symbols can be
>>
>> I imagine copy and paste from gucharmap or charmap or whatever would
>> work.  Failing that you can open the .dia file in a text editor, find
>> the text and manually insert the symbol using whatever method your
>> favourite text editor provides and then testing to see if Dia can
>> succesfully open the file.
>>

> Been there, done that. Seems to work pretty good but is kind of a hassle.
> You have the set it to not compress the file when saved so you can open
> it in the editor and use the Gnome Character Map to select the symbol.
>
> Unless things have changed text is a whole object and you can't paste
> individual characters from other apps into the text. One method that
> might work if dia was made to use a feature like Ctrl-V in vi to insert
> special characters that are in the extended ascii set. My method of
> inserting them via an editor doesn't change the font type but uses the
> ascii characters above 127. Using a Ctrl-V like feature and inserting the
> numerical ascii code would be a simple way to address this.

Try selecting a text object, then select Edit->Paste Text.  That should
paste outside txt into the object.

I have plans to replace the hacked-up editing currently in use with a
TextView, thus getting standard GTK2 text editing funtionality.  There's
some issues about when to stop the edit, but the idea is sound and should
allow more easy editing.

Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause)| HĂ„rdgrim of Numenor