Re: upgrade from 0.88.1 to 0.90: diagrams broken

On 23 Jul 2003, Oliver.Sinnen@inesc.pt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My problem: I upgrade from dia 0.88.1 (SuSE 8.0) to 0.90 (SuSE 8.2).
> Most diagrams I created with 0.88.1 are broken in 0.90. Mostly this means
> that boxes with text (from flowchart shapes) are too small, in fact they
> have in 0.90 the size of the text.
>
> What changed between the two versions that may cause this problem? Is it
> font related?
>
> I mainly used the fonts "helvetica" and "times-roman" in the original
> diagrams under 0.88.1. These fonts seem to be substituted with other
> fonts in 0.90.

The basic (GTK-based) font system wasn't (AFAIR) changed between 0.88.1 and
0.90, but the AA system was (changed to use FreeType).

Certainly if your fonts were substituted with other ones, that would change
the size, as the size is determined by the size of the text, which depends
on the font used.  Why they would change I don't know.  Maybe if other
thing were updated in your system at the same time.

A quick fix is to select everything and move it a bit, that'll force
all connections to reattach.  However, other relative positions will not be
fixed.

Be aware that the font system changed completely in 0.91 because we changed
to GTK2.  So if you're going to readjust your diagrams anyway, and have the
chance to update to 0.91, I would recommend that.

Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause)| HĂ„rdgrim of Numenor