Re: A matter of principle [Re: HIGification of dialog boxes]

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, Cyrille Chepelov wrote:

> Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 22:18:31 +0200
> From: Cyrille Chepelov <cyrille@chepelov.org>
> To: dia-list@gnome.org
> Subject: Re: A matter of principle [Re: HIGification of dialog boxes]
>
> Le Fri, Jul 18, 2003, à 07:28:31PM +0100, Alan Horkan a écrit:
>
> > > Hello? That's not what I said. My point was: the instant-apply thing where
> > Stop you right there.  Sorry, the rant wasn't aimed at you are any of the
>
> OK. My apologies. Will make one of these floating widgets fizzle in its
> intended surrounding liquid in your name.
>

> > > In fact, I'm pondering about a nice hack to have the toolbox take less space
> > > on the screen and still remain usable -- I'm just not so sure of how
> > > gtk-win32 would behave.
> >
> > Being able to go fullscreen would provide more space.
>
> Yes, fullscreen is very useful. Alt-Tab sucks when you use one every other
> action (though I then tend to make a "private toolbox" in a corner of my
> diagram and then copy&paste).
>
> > In fullscreen mode you could have an autohide menu maybe?
>
> That I think is what I describe with the cm² trick, unless I misunderstand
> you again...

Well the Gnome Panel has Hide arrows and I guess you are just doing
something similar.  Autohide (which the Gnome panel also has) moves the
panel offscreen and putting your mouse pointer against the edge shows it
again, as opposed to having to click on a show/hide button.

> > If you want to use the Menubar but also want to be able to toggle it more
> > easily would you consider adding a menu item for it and a keybinding.
>
> Makes a lot of sense and should be trivial to do. Any takers?

I tried before and made a mess of it, there is a bugzilla request.  I
might try it again sometime this week.

- Alan