Re: HIGification of dialog boxes

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Krzysztof Foltman wrote:

> Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 21:03:14 +0200
> From: Krzysztof Foltman <kfoltman@onet.pl>
> To: dia-list@gnome.org
> Subject: HIGification of dialog boxes
>
> As someone from #usability noticed, most in dialog boxes in Dia are
> completely HIG-uncompliant button order-wise. I could try to do the

I have started to like the HIG button order, but will it bother windows
users much?  (Go for it, unless Hans or Steffen strongly objects)

> gruntwork and fix them, but I'm not sure if I should make attribute
> dialogs instant-apply (with only Close button) or explicit apply (Try,
> Cancel, OK).

[I dont remember seeing "Try" in the HIG, seems redundant if you have
instant apply]

> Any opinions ? (I'd go for instant apply, as changing attributes or
> defaults for attributes is not - in my opinion - "irreversible,
> destructive or otherwise inconvenient to the user").

I would have some reservations about getting rid of Apply in some cases
you need to make more extensive changes for it to make sense but mostly it
is a big improvement.

- Alan H.