Re: parenting (patch)

Lars Clausen wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Vadim Berezniker wrote:
>
> An excellent patch!  Thank you for adding a much-asked-for feature.  I am
> just now committing it.

Did you apply my patch as is? I just want to know if you made any
changes I need to be aware of.

> There's a few things that should be added to make it fully integrated: An
> easy way to unparent a single child, ways to select children/parents from
> the select menu, a way to make a parent 'sticky' so that any old object
> dragged in will become a child, proper subtreeing in the diagram tree
> (which should also happen for groups), making children
> invisible/unselectable, etc.
>
> Once the parenting things are complete, we may want to replace group with a
> specialized parent object.
>
> We need to figure out which other objects should be parentable -- I don't
> think the regular boxes should be (unless it's a flag), as they are also
> used for just background and such.  I could imagine the Chronogram Timeline
> being a parent, and surely others too.

For now any rectangular object can be made to be a parent with no
problems. I'm not sure personally what objects should be able to parent
or not.

> As for file format description, the current version has the problem that
> older versions of Dia loses the children totally.  It'd be better if they
> were still there, but of course with no parent.  That would require a
> crosslink like what the connections do.

I will take a look at that.

> I think this is an important enough addition that I want to get 0.92 out as
> soon as it has a few more of the above fixed, and autorouting is more
> stable (needs undo).
>
> -Lars

I've been kind of busy, but I will try to get to fixing certain things
like that and the ones that I've mentioned before.
I will try to get them done this week.