RE: Dialogs, Layers Dialog [Re: Dia ChangeLog report for Mon Jul 7 07:23:02 2003 (UTC)]

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, TAZ Vukovic, Mirko wrote:

> Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 17:21:56 -0500
> From: "TAZ Vukovic, Mirko" <mvukovic@taz.telusa.com>
> To: "'dia-list@gnome.org'" <dia-list@gnome.org>
> Subject: RE: Dialogs,
>      Layers Dialog [Re: Dia ChangeLog report for Mon Jul   7 07:23:02 2003
>     (UTC)]
>
> I use layers to organize my diagrams and mainly control visibility of groups

presumably by moving whole layers up and down

> of items.  I try to group related items in their own layer.  Layers help me

groups of groups ...

> organize diagrams and thoughts.

The reason a bring this up at all is that I am particularly impressed at
how well another program I was looking at handles groups and selections.
I cant find another vector graphics based program that has layers.  I dont
understand them but I certainly could not justify anything drastic like
removing.  I am still not sure that they are necessarily the best way to
do things but real users give the best information.

> My one wish is that snaps would be transparent across layers.  As an
> example, in one application, I had a several objects in the ``base'' layer.
> Over that layer I was drawing various diagrams (each on its own layer)
> consisting mainly of arrows, pointing how the objects interacted under
> various circumstances.  It would have been much easier if the arrows were
> connected to the objects on the base layer, as from time to time, I had to
> re-arrange those.

Sounds like a great idea and Lars has said what was needed.

> (Usual disclaimer applies: thanks for the great work.  Hopefully one day I
> get to contribute something).

Thanks I have only used the layers once or twice for a background image,
you have given me exactly the kind of real user feedback I wanted to hear.

> Mirko

- Alan H.