Re: Line Thickness in UML Diagrams

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, James Harris wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> I'm interested in making the dia UML objects more useable.
> I've found the fixed font size and line size a bit cumbersome.

Totally agreed.

> There seems to be a trend away from custom classes to the XML shapes.

There is, for simple objects.  But extending the XML shapes to the point
where they could support what UML class needs would more than likely make
the XML as hard to write as the C objects.

> Is it sensible to continue with the custom UML classes or should effort
> be put into enhancing XML shapes somehow to build UML objects?

The UML classes need an overhaul to comply with the StdProps system.  Some
of them even have their own little GTK properties dialogs, yuck!

> Who is already working on this and how can I help?

Nobody is currently really in charge of those.

> Where would my coding effort best be spent?

The StdProps are almost good enough to handle all the UML stuff -- some of
the meta-props (multiline etc) need work on their widgets, other than that
it is ready.  If we can handle the UML Class with StdProps, we can handle
everything in UML.  This would be wonderful to have somebody working on!