Re: Line Thickness in UML Diagrams

Greetings all,

I'm interested in making the dia UML objects more useable.
I've found the fixed font size and line size a bit cumbersome.
There seems to be a trend away from custom classes to the XML shapes.

Is it sensible to continue with the custom UML classes or should effort be
put into enhancing XML shapes somehow to build UML objects?
Who is already working on this and how can I help? Where would my coding
effort best be spent?

Cheers,

James

                    Lars Clausen
                    <lrclause@cs.u        To:     dia-list@gnome.org
                    iuc.edu>              cc:
                    Sent by:              Subject:     Re: Line Thickness in UML Diagrams
                    dia-list-admin
                    @gnome.org

                    28/01/2003
                    05:39 AM
                    Please respond
                    to dia-list

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, Alexander Schmid wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I´m drawing UML Class Diagrams using the dia tool. These Diagrams are
> going to be exported to .eps and included in a PostScript (TeX) document.
>
> The Problem I have is the following: I cannot adjust the line size (its
> thickness) of any of the UML objects (class, any arrows....). Is this
> wanted by the developers of dia, or can this be changed? Can anybody tell
> me how to get around this?

That is (another) shortcoming of the UML classes.  They don't really play
nice with a lot of the standard properties.  They're overall old and crufty
and badly in need of updating.  Most of them just have a #define for their
linewidth which you could change, but it's a global def.  They also need
colors and such.  Patches would be welcome (against CVS), but I don't have
the time to fix these things myselves until after the upcoming release.

"I do not agree with a word that you say, but I
    --Evelyn Beatrice Hall paraphrasing Voltaire  | what's with the
handbasket?