Re: Dia-list digest, Vol 1 #758 - 5 msgs

On jeudi, fév 20, 2003, at 01:47 Europe/Paris, James K. Lowden wrote:

>> It's ugly. I'd actually say given the current mess we're in to create
>> new extension ".gzdia" or whatever, and fix it when filesystems
>> actually
>> store MIME types with files. (We'd do away with extensions entirely at
>> that time, would we not?)
>
> I believe that's what Macs call a "resource fork" and it's been around
> 20
> years.  Obviously, that's not long enough to gain adoption in these
> parts.... ;-)

That is wrong. That is called meta-data and has nothing to do with
multiple fork (or streams) files. MacOS (up to 9) did store the file
type in the meta-data. MacOS X seems to drop that type meta-data in
favor of extensions, like on Windows and UNIX...
As for mime/type in meta-data, BeOS did that.

Hub