Re: Some issues

Lars,
	As soon as you find out I'm a professor at your sister
campus, you start to harass me and try to get me to do some
work--as if that was possible :-).   My students these days are
all working on computer security and networking, trying to make
the world safe from Bin Laden and high schoolers.  So there you
have it.

	But I do have enough time to continue my nitpicking
to those that actually do the work.

Jon

On Mon, 2003-12-22 at 06:24, Lars Clausen wrote:
> On 21 Dec 2003, Jon A. Solworth wrote:
> > Chris,
> > 	Sorry for the confusion.  I had sent a Dia file to
> > Lars to show the arrow problem with xfig arrows.
> >
> > 	The figures came from a computer security course
> > in which I covered some newtwork cryptographic protocols.  Since I could
>
> "They turned it into a newt!"
> "A newt?"
> "It... it got better."
>
> > not get pdflatex to process any dia output
> > with latex mathmode and color, I just exported to eps,
> > and what showed up on the screen had underscores in it but
> > did not need escapes since the text was never processed
> > by (pdf)latex.  Since the figure had been around for a while,
> > I answered your question without thinking about the fig.
> > So it was entirely my fault.  I am attaching current version which is
> > expected to run through metapost (ie latex).
> >
> > 	Because of the differences in the viewable diagram using different
> > exports, I think the only long term solution would be a two step
> > process--process in latex the labels using metapost from within dia--and
> > then produce the output with the processed labels.
> >
> > 	But the above substantial programming task is not the most
> > important issue to me, I (and especially my students) will be *very*
> > happy to produce readable labels on my diagrams!
>
> If any of your students feel like looking into it, a patch would be very
> welcome.  Easiest would be to make a new object based on, e.g., the UML
> Note or Standard Text object.  Start simple, get the LaTeX roundtrip up,
> then we can fancy it up later.  The final solution would be to make it
> something that can be done for any text.  I'm sorry that I don't have the
> time to look into it myself, I must spend what time I have on speeding up
> text rendering.
>
> -Lars
Jon A. Solworth
Computer Science Dept. (M/C 152)	url: http://parsys.cs.uic.edu/~solworth
University of Illinois at Chicago       telephone: (312) 996-0955
851 S. Morgan Rm 1120 SEO    		FAX:       (312) 413-0024
Chicago, IL 60607-7053