Restricting object resizing in one direction only, not all directions

Hello,

This would be two of two, thanks for the patience as I learn.

This one has to do with how the objects I create behave when I try to resize
them.

After creating an object, and putting it into a sheet, I have no problems
dropping that new shape into a Dia drawing.  The problem is I can only resize
the object in a proportional fashion.  So if the shape is  a 2" x 4", I can
make it 4" x 8", but not 2" x 24".  Depending on what I am trying to draw, I
need to be able to restrict the object in one direction (say the 2" size) but
the other size needs to be "adjustable", for lack of a better word.  I know I
want to use a board that is 2" in size, but I need to show that it is, say, 37
3/4" long.

Question: Is there a way to do this WITHOUT digging into the code?

Among the things I want to teach myself, is Python.  I know slightly less than
nothing about it right now, and from what I can see, Dia is coded in XML.  I
know less about XML than Python.  If I don't have to learn XML right now, I'd
rather not.  I'd rather be in my wood shop.  <grin>

Many thanks!

Eric