Re: Multiple [named] textbox items in shape definition

On 25 Aug 2003, bahnsch@access4cheap.com wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 07:09 , Lars Clausen <lrclause@cs.uiuc.edu> sent:
>  Once 0.92 is out, the next version will feature a totally
>> different text edit system with a separate text edit mode that would
>> allow for multiple editable fields in an object among other things.  I
>> hope you can wait that long.  I'm looking at the last patches to go into
>> 0.92 right now, and expect to send out a pre1 maybe later this week,
>> maybe next week.
>>
>> -Lars
>>

> Thanks Lars.  Do you mean to say that the next version *after* 0.92 will
> have it, or that 0.92 is this "next version" that will have it? That is,
> will the 0.92-pre1 coming in the next couple weeks include the ability to
> have multiple edit boxes per shape?

Should have been more clear perhaps.  0.93 is slated to have this.

> I'd like to see the new shape DTD, example shape XML files, and/or the
> new "custom-shapes" document, if it's not too much trouble. I think we
> can wait a little while for the functionality, but we would like to know
> as soon as possible how closely it will meet our needs.

We have none such yet.  Since the DTD doesn't specify that there's only one
textbox per shape, I doubt it's going to change.  Your own multi-textbox
files would probably (hopefully) work.  The custom-shapes document will be
updated when something for it changes.

> I hope you don't mind me asking, but are there open-source or inexpensive
> alternatives to Dia that I should consider? I have looked at Xfig,
> Sketch, and Scribus, and none of them seem to support object
> "connections". I am doing ladder logic work, and inter-object connections
> are required to be able to process the diagram and build the equations. I
> don't mind spending some money, but we need to get away from Visio and
> Microsoft's closed and bulky file format. My platform is Win2k.

Take a look at the Links page found on our homepage.  Xfig does allow
'smart links,' which is kinda the same, I just really hate the interface.

Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause)| HĂ„rdgrim of Numenor