Re: Multiple [named] textbox items in shape definition

On 23 Aug 2003, Christopher Bahns wrote:

> Hello All,
> I have read a number of postings on similar requests (see References),
> and have looked at the latest code, but so far have not found any
> definitive statements, or even recent discussions about it. I also
> looked over the TWiki and saw nothing about this.
>
> 1. I want to be able to define, for a custom shape, multiple text
> fields ("edit boxes"). The existing "textbox" is okay, but I'd like to
> have an arbitrary number of them. I have tried this with v0.91 and it
> only recognizes the last one in the shape file.

This is not a simple change with the current setup.  Text editing is rather
hackish, and in particular it only really allows one editable text field
per object (as you can see in e.g. the UML shapes, the programmed objects
that should have more also only have one).  It cuts fairly deep into how
text editing works, and while we could make some kludge to get around it, a
number of problems remain (menu shortcuts most of all).  Once 0.92 is out,
the next version will feature a totally different text edit system with a
separate text edit mode that would allow for multiple editable fields in an
object among other things.  I hope you can wait that long.  I'm looking at
the last patches to go into 0.92 right now, and expect to send out a pre1
maybe later this week, maybe next week.

Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause)| HĂ„rdgrim of Numenor